Factory reset your HP laptop is quite a good fix if you are encountering any problems with it. The process can also be adopted if you are going to recycle an old HP laptop and you wish to remove all your personal data safely.
There are two methods available to factory reset HP laptop (Windows), depending upon the circumstances you are in:
- If you are able to log into the HP laptop the usual way, you can perform a factory reset via Windows Settings.
- In case you cannot log into the HP laptop the usual way, you can perform a factory reset via the Windows Recovery Environment.
Now, let us look into both the above methods in detail:
Method 1-Factory Resetting HP laptop through Windows Settings:
- First, go to the Search box on your Windows laptop. Here, type in reset this pc.
- Next, from the displayed options, choose Reset this PC.
- On the screen that appears next, click on the Get started button.
- On the screen titled, Choose an option, you can either select Keep my files or Remove everything.
Keep My Files
- You can choose Keep my files if you wish to keep all your personal files, apps, and customization.
- You can then click on Next followed by the Reset button.
- Your laptop will now re-install the operating system. And then, it will restart.
- The factory reset your HP laptop is now complete.
- You can go for the Remove everything option if you wish to remove all of your personal files, apps, settings, and customization.
- After selecting this option, you will see the screen titled, Your PC has more than one drive.
- Now, continue with these instructions:
- In case you wish to remove all the things from the drive where Windows has been installed, select the Only the drive where Windows is installed option.
- Else, if you wish to recycle your laptop and then remove all your files from it, choose the All drives option.
- The next screen will be titled, Do you want to clean the drives, too?
- Choose the Just remove my files option if you wish to delete only your files.
- Go for the Remove files and clean the drive option, if you wish to remove all your files as well as clean the drive thoroughly.
- You will now find the Ready to reset this PC screen. On this screen, click on the Reset button.
- Reset will take some time, so you have to wait patiently until the process is complete.
After factory reset your HP laptop, your laptop will reboot. Then, you have to set up your HP laptop from the beginning.
Method 2- Factory Resetting HP laptop Through Windows Recovery Environment
- First, you need to confirm that all the following conditions are met:
- The HP laptop must be off.
- All the external devices should be unplugged from the laptop.
- In case you have added any internal hardware recently, it has to be removed.
- Next, turn on the laptop. Press the F11 key immediately several times until you see the Choose an option screen.
- Now, select the Troubleshoot option.
- On the Troubleshoot screen, click on the Reset this PC option.
- On the next screen titled, Reset this PC, you can either select the Keep my files option or the Remove everything option.
- Follow the instructions based on your selection and finally, click on the Reset button.
- Now You are successfully factory reset your HP laptop.